Acoustic consultants provide acoustics, noise and vibrations services – like noise surveys, noise assessments and acoustic design advice for buildings and rooms. It is involved in many sectors of science and engineering. For example, you could help mobile phone developers or be involved with the uses of ultrasound in medicine or in non-destructive testing of structures.
Starting: £22,000 - £25,000.
With experience: £25,000 - £35,000.
Senior posts: £35,000 - £50,000.
Typically work 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday or on a shift basis.
As per the ANC, many consultancies are reporting a shortage of graduates and there are often more jobs available than graduates.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Noise modelling skills, including familiarity with noise modelling software
- A logical and creative approach to problem solving
- Written and verbal skills, including technical report writing skills
- Able to collate and analyse data
- Confidence to liaise with clients and local authorities
- IT skills including proficiency in Excel and Word as well as computer simulations
- Project, resource and time management skills
- Commercial awareness, budgeting and negotiating skills
- A proactive approach to work
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of relevant codes of practice, policy and legislation.