Actuaries analyze data, evaluate financial risk and act as consultants for non-specialists. They are knowledgeable in topics like business and economics, probability theory, statistics, and investment theory and offer strategic, commercial and financial advice.
They work in sectors like banking, corporate finance, investment management, life, healthcare and general insurance, and pensions.
Starting salary: £25,000 - £35,000.
With qualifications: £40,000 and £55,000.
Senior positions: £60,000+.
Typical 9am - 5pm work hours. You'll be studying alongside work for further qualifications.
Enterprise risk management is a developing area with possibilities to progress to board-level positions.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Communication skills, to convey complex information to clients
- Analytical, research and creative problem-solving skills
- IT skills
- Concise report writing abilities
- Excellent people, interpersonal and listening skills
- Good teamwork
- Able to cope with the demands of studying while working
- Sound judgement and a genuine interest in business.