Consulting Civil Engineer
Civil Engineers are involved with the design, development and construction of a huge range of projects in the built and natural environment. Their role is central to ensuring the safe, timely and well-resourced completion of projects in many areas.
You may choose to specialize in a certain area of civil engineering, such as:
- coastal and marine
- construction of dams and canals
- geotechnical engineering
- highways and transportation
- structural work
- waste management
- water and public health.
Starting salary: £23,500
Non-member average salary: £30,450.
Average basic salary of ICE members is about £50,000 and ICE fellows is £81,447 (Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) Salary Survey 2013).
The average working week is 42 hours and may include some odd hours, depending on your specialty and individual project requirements. You may have to work long hours and weekends.
You can develop your career in a number of ways, according to your interests and the employer you work for. If you work for a large, multinational company you can usually find opportunities to work overseas.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Technical skills
- Strong numeracy skills
- Excellent communication and teamworking skills
- Ability to work to budgets and deadlines
- Knowledge of relevant building legislation
- Attention to detail, combined with the ability to oversee large projects
- Negotiation and leadership skills
- Creative problem solving