Cosmologists study the Universe’s beginning and different origin theories, such as the big bang theory. They use satellite and telescope observations, as well as computer theoretical models to determine the parameters such as the age of the universe and the events that took place in the very first minutes of the existence of everything, and its subsequent evolution.
This role utilizes the knowledge of physics, chemistry, astronomy, and programming.
Starting salary (research fellow) £30,000 to £35,000
Senior position £40,000 to £60,000+
Usually 9am to 5pm.
Cosmologists, apart from the classical physics knowledge, utilize a lot of special relativity theories to explain the phenomenon studied.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Strong knowledge in Astronomy, Special Relativity, and other related areas
- Ability to plan and conduct your own research, as well as to write research proposals
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Experience using programming languages (python, java etc.)
- Ability to work as a team
- Some research experience is desired
- Simulation and modelling abilities are required