Epidemiologists study the sources and spread of diseases, as well as ways to prevent them and lessen their impact, such as with Covid-19 pandemic. They focus on cities, regions or even whole countries in their studies and computer simulations, rather than individuals.
This job is varied in the roles, from lab research to field work of conducting surveys and collecting samples from affected populations.
Starting salary £25,000 to £30,000
Senior position £50,000 to £60,000+
Lab research 9am to 5pm, out in the field depends on a project.
This career has a lot of demand for new epidemiologists, with high salaries expected in both public and private sectors.
Skills Valued by Employers
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience with data analysis
- Good analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Creative problem solving/interpretation skills
- Willingness to learn new methods
- Strong interest in epidemiological studies