Food technologists ensure that food products, sold at shops or restaurants, are manufactured in a safe and ethical way, and are produced with accordance to safety standards. They are involved in planning and creating recipes for different foods and drinks.
They also change existing products and recipes, to make them more sustainable or meet specific dietary requirements, as being gluten-free or having fewer fat contents. This role can be varied, from meeting and talking to customers, to researching the market and developing recipes themselves.
Starting salary £20,000 to £25,000
Senior position £35,000 to £45,000+
Usually 9am to 5pm.
This job has a lot of different roles and progression available, with top positions usually being management related.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Self-motivated and excellent communicator
- Team player with a flexible and positive approach
- Assume accountability for their work and deliver to agreed timescales
- Attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Proven interpersonal, verbal and written, communication skills
- “think outside the box” approach
- Creative and innovative with a food-loving mind-set
- Curiosity to trial and develop new solutions