In this role you will use your knowledge of physics and optics and apply it to the theory and applications of lasers. You will plan, design and manufacture lasers used for multiple purposes, as well as operate them. You will also be responsible for their maintenance and ensuring they are working well and are up to the highest quality and safety standards.
You will also use your programming skills to model and simulate experiments as a part of the on-going research into laser technology.
Student Case Studies
Starting salary: £25,000 to £30,000
Senior position: £45,000 to £55,000+
Usually 9am to 5pm.
This career usually requires you to hold a PhD in a relevant area of research.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Great problem-solving skills
- Great analytical skills
- Programming and coding experience, ideally knowing a few programming languages
- Experience with simulations and modelling
- Good communications skills, written and verbal
- Responsible approach to health and safety
- Excellent knowledge of optics and lasers