Marine engineers are responsible for the design and construction of ships, boats, and other water-related systems, like offshore platforms. The roles vary from office jobs, shipyard shifts to even underwater work, for example on submarines and similar environments.
The working environment can be harsh, as it may involve days spent fully outdoors in any weather conditions, as well as can be very physically demanding.
Starting salary £25,000 to £30,000
Senior position £45,000 to £55,000+
Around 40 hours a week, might be on a shift pattern (including nights and weekends) depending on the company.
Career progression is possible in this role, usually to become project manager or research leader.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Great problem-solving skills
- Great analytical skills
- Ability to work on uneven levels and in confined spaces
- Good understanding and interest in marine technologies
- Ability to Read and interpret drawings
- Good level of IT skill
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure