Metallurgists study the extraction and processing of various metals and alloys. They examine the performance and properties of metals and use them to produce a range of products and materials. You can work in design and manufacture, production management, quality assurance, or research and development.
Metallurgists specialize in a range of areas as a metallurgist, from traditional manufacturing roles to working with cutting-edge technology.
Starting salary: £22,000-£28,000.
With experience: £30,000-£45,000.
With CEng: up to £60,000.
Typical working hours are 37 to 40 per week. In manufacturing environments you'll work shifts through a 24-hour system.
In many parts of the metals industry, female and ethnic minority graduates are underrepresented and are encouraged to apply.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Communication and presentation skills
- Teamworking skills with other engineers and scientists
- Business awareness
- Problem-solving ability to deal with manufacturing or technical issues
- Innovation and leadership
- Initiative, drive and enthusiasm for improving metals and methods used
- Numeracy skills and result oriented work ethic
- Attention to detail to interpret design requirements and produce reports.