Meteorologists study the weather phenomenon and climate to carry out scientific analysis of data to make predictions using information obtained from land, sea, and upper atmosphere.
Graduated trainee: £23,000.
Managerial positions: £38,000-£60,000+.
Office: 12-hour shifts covering days and nights.
Research: Usual hours will be 9am to 5pm, possibly with some overtime.
Fieldwork: No standard hours.
Most work is carried out in comfortable, spacious environments, but remote areas or on military operations are also possible.
Skills Valued by Employers
- mathematical and computing ability
- good problem-solving ability
- attention to detail and accuracy
- ability to write scientific reports
- a team-orientated approach to work
- the ability to interact with a range of people
- enthusiasm and a genuine interest in meteorology and the environment.