Naval architects are engineers responsible for the design, construction, decommission and repair of seafaring vessels, including ships, boats, submarines, and offshore structures.
Starting salary: £25,000-£35,000.
With experience: £35,000 to £50,000.
Senior posts: £60,000-£65,000+.
Typically 9am to 5pm, with some extra hours. You'll need a flexible approach to working hours.
Skills gained are transferable and valued elsewhere so many options are available like teaching, equipment procurement, sales, marketing.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Produce clear and well-presented drawings and plans.
- Analytical skills to interpret technical information and drawings.
- Effective spoken and written communication skills.
- Report-writing skills.
- Sound judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Teamworking skills, and the ability to work independently in both office and site environments.
- Commercial awareness.
- Strong IT skills.
- Project management and leadership skills.
- A creative, enquiring and logical mind.