Patent attorney assesses whether inventions are new and innovative and thus eligible for patenting. They also act to enforce inventors’ rights if patents are infringed.
Qualified: £58,800 and £69,700 after 2-3 years and £78,000 with 5 years.
Salaried partner: £115,200.
Equity partner: £150,000-£500,000.
Generally hours are Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm, but you'll need to work extra hours to meet deadlines.
This is a small profession with excellent career prospects, but getting into the profession as a new trainee can be challenging with fierce competition.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Understanding of scientific and technological principles and processes.
- Able to comprehend the invention yourself and explain it to others concisely.
- Communication skills, particularly written skills, to convince the IPO to grant a patent.
- An eye for detail and an analytical mind
- Interpersonal skills for dealing with clients
- The ability to structure a precise, coherent argument
- Confidence, eloquence, and tenacity
- Willingness to get to grips with legal and commercial arguments
- Ability to manage your own workload
- Time management skills
- Readiness to take responsibility.