Computer programmers use their skillsets to write code helping companies or institutions in a number of different ways, from easing data analysis to making processes more automatic and less time consuming. The roles vary from designing such algorithms, to writing the code and maintain its functionality with updates.
Student Case Studies
Starting salary £20,000 to £25,000
Senior position £40,000 to £50,000+
Usually 9am to 5pm, overtime might be needed for some projects.
Computer programmers are usually skilled in only a few programming languages, like Java or C++, however it is estimated that over 700 different ones exist.
Skills Valued by Employers
- Ability to learn and develop new tech skills as required
- Great attention to detail
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently to deliver objectives
- Experience with programming languages, such as Python or Java